Welcome to the Naval Association of Australian Sub Section – Parramatta Memorial
Welcome members of the Naval Association of Australia – Parramatta Memorial. Naapm.net will provide information, minutes to meetings, a calender of events and project planning information for members.
- We meet on the second Thursday of every month except January.
- Location: Club Parramatta, 2 Macquarie St, in the Executive Board Room.
- Meeting time: 1800 – note that the Ode is recited throughout the club at this time so better to arrive a little early as no-one is allowed in while the Ode is in progress.
- Secure parking available across the street – take ticket into the club for endorsement on departure to enable free parking.
- Our small group exists to maintain a connection with HMAS Parramatta II Memorial, located by the river in Queens Wharf Reserve, George St; 138 men were lost when Parramatta II was sunk off Libya, 27 November 1941. The official custodian of the monument is our sub-Section President (currently Bruce Richens).
HMAS Parramatta II Memorial Event 2020
Thank you to our 2020 Memorial Event Dignitaries for your support. L to R: Mr Bruce Richens, Captain Simon Cannell CSC RAN, Rear Admiral Guy Griffiths A.O. D.S.O. D.S.C. R.A.N (Retd), Councillor Bob Dwyer Lord Mayor City of Parramatta, Mrs Jenny Dwyer Lady Mayoress City of Parramatta, Councillor Lorraine Wearne City of Parramatta, Councillor Bill Tyrrell City of Parramatta.
Links to published documents.
Documents of Interest to the Parramatta Memorial Sub-section can be posted here.
Members Book Exchange:
A book exchange will take place after each NAAPM Sub-Section Meeting. Please bring any books that you are willing to donate to the exchange.
Schedule of upcoming events.
If you would like to add an event to “Schedule Of Upcoming Events”, submit a proposal, or request changes to be made to the NAAPM site, please use the contact form below.
Link to NAA Commemoration Milestone Events
Tuesday 26 January 2021
Sunday 4 April 2021
Daylight Savings Time Ends
Sunday 25 April 2021
ANZAC DAY: is one of Australia’s most important national occasions. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.
Sunday 4 July 2021
HMAS Parramatta III (DE46)
Commisioned 4th July 1961 under the command of Commander Guy Griffiths, DSC,RAN
Saturday August 2021 | Date TBA
The annual Sub Section mid-year luncheon will be held at the Parramatta RSL Club. Date to be decided.
Rooty Hill Sub-Section BBQ
Mr Robert Cooper OAM : 0418 629 846
Thursday 11 November 2021
At 11:00am on 11 November 1918 the guns on the Western Front fell silent after more than four years of continuous warfare. The moment when hostilities ceased on the Western Front became universally associated with the remembrance of those who had died in the war.
November 2021 | Date TBA
HMAS Parramatta II Memorial Service
HMAS Parramatta II was sunk by a torpedo from the German submarine U559’s off the coast of Libya in the early hours of 27th November 1941 while escorting transports resupplying the Allied garrison at Tobruk. 24 of the crew survived the sinking and 138 lost their lives. Each year on the Sunday prior to the 27th November there is a memorial service held at the HMAS Parramatta II Memorial in Queens Wharf Reserve, George Street Parramatta in honour of the men who served on the HMAS Parramatta II.
Service commences at 1100 (11AM). A short march is held prior to the service.
HMAS Parramatta II Memorial
HMAS Parramatta Memorial.
147/151 George St, Parramatta NSW 2150
Mr Michael Kielty
Phone: 0421 314 429